I make a pretty awesome cabbage rolls but they are a little time consuming. I subscribe to the Kraft What’s Cooking magazine. And in the festive issue there was a recipe for a Lazy Cabbage Roll Casserole. It was amazing!! Really easy to make and delicious! It calls for one carrot, but I didn’t have any so I added a package of fresh sliced mushrooms and of course used my normal seasoning (Montreal Steak Spice and Seasoning Salt). Next time I will also add garlic. Other than that the recipe was amazing!
- 5 large savoy cabbage leaves (I used 8 green cabbage leaves)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 parsnip, shredded
- 1 package fresh slice mushrooms
- 2 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup instant white rice, uncooked
- ¼ cup Kraft Extra Virgin Olive Oil Tuscan Italian Dressing
- 4 cups tomato sauce, divided
- 1 cup Kraft 4 cheese Italiano Shredded Cheese
- Place cabbage leaves in a large bowl and cover with boiling water. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile brown meat in a non-stick skillet and drain. Add onion, parsnip, mushrooms and celery; cook for 5 minutes
- Mix meat mixture, tomato paste, rice, dressing, 3 cups tomato sauce and ¾ cup cheese
- Heat oven to 370oC. Dry cabbage, pat dry and remove vein from centre of leaf and cut in half.
- Pour ½ cup tomato sauce in a casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray. Cover with cabbage leaves and 2 cups of rice mixture; repeat layers 3 times. Top with remaining cabbage, tomato sauce and cheese
- Bake for 1 hour covered and an addition 10 minutes uncovered
- Let stand 5 minutes and use a serrated knife to cut casserole