Friday, May 6, 2011

Bruschetta Bread

I don't like uncooked tomatoes (but I love salsa, tomato sauce, etc...weird I know), so I would NEVER order bruschetta! But I went out for dinner with a co-worker and she ordered bruschetta from Jack Astor's, she offered me a slice, and of course I tried it. I must admit it was really yummy!

With that said, my husband LOVES tomatoes! So when I told him about my bruschetta experience he suggested we have it with our leftover soup. Well I started looking a recipes and mixed a few together to come up with my own variation. I used a french loaf, but I think it would be better with a baguette. I would also top with mozzarella and feta cheese!! I also used my food processor to make this (since the tomatoes are not completely cooked, I wanted them in small pieces), however you can easily chop everything and mix together.

Ingredients:
- 4 medium sized tomatoes, cut in quarters
- 1 small onion, cut in quarters
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh Basil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 French baguette (or loaf)
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Crumbled feta

Directions:
1. Preheat oven on broiler setting
2. Add tomatoes, onion and garlic to a food processor, and pulse until smooth
3. In a large bowl, combine tomato mixture, oil, vinegar, basil, salt and pepper. Allow mixture to sit for 10 minutes
4. Cut baguette into 3/4-inch slices, arrange on a baking sheet and broil for 1 to 2 minutes until slightly brown
5. Top bread with tomato mixture and cheese
6. Broil for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted

1 comment:

Maggie Maxwell said...

I'm the same way with tomatoes (soup, salsa, sauce, fine. Plain, ick.) and I love bruschetta. The spices and oils just make plain tomato so much better. I'll have to try this recipe out sometime!