Saturday, January 15, 2011

Ham and Egg Crepes (with Hollandaise Sauce)

We have had a pretty good week food wise!!! But when I go to bed at 7:30 I just can’t seem to find the time to blog! Hopefully next week will be a little better!!

Last weekend we went to Cora’s for breakfast. It was so nice! Very tropical, everything had mounds of fresh fruit. My husband got an omelette crepe with Hollandaise Sauce, and loved it! Fast forward to this week, I was checking out a blog I like Cooking for the Hungry Husband, and found this interesting recipe (ham and egg crepe squares). I decided to give it a try with a little twist…with Hollandaise Sauce!! It was a hit, my husband loved it!! This will defiantly be a repeat! (Just a warning, this recipe calls for tons of eggs!!)

My only problem was trying to get the crepes to fold. I think next time I will use a larger frying pan when making the crepes. What I did this time was use tooth picks to hold it in place. Needless to say it was still amazing!!

Enjoy!


While cooking

With Hollandaise Sauce











Crepes
Ingredients:
-          1¼ cup milk
-          ¾ cup flour
-          2 tbsp sugar
-          3 eggs
-          2 tbsp melted butter (or oil)
-          ¼ tsp salt

Directions:
  1. Mix all ingredients together and let sit for 15 minutes. (Or if you do this ahead of time, let the mixture refrigerate overnight or for 2 hours)
  2. Heat a medium sized skillet with a tsp of butter (or oil). Add ¼ cup mixture. Allow mixture to set (about 3-4 minutes) and flip.

Side Note: This recipe yields close to 9 crepes; I made 3 and put the rest in the fridge for tomorrow.

Ham and Egg Crepes
Ingredients:
-          Depends on how many crepes you plan to make. You will need one of each for each crepe.
o       Crepes
o       Eggs
o       Ham (I used leftover ham from dinner one night – I just sliced it up with our food slicer)
o       Hollandaise Sauce (see below)

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350oF
  2. On a rimmed cookie sheet, place your crepes, and top with a slice of ham and an egg
  3. Fold the edges of the crepe up to make a little pocket (this is where I had to use tooth picks!)
  4. Bake until yolk sets (approximately 12 minutes)
  5. Top with Hollandaise Sauce and serve

Hollandaise Sauce (recipe from Allrecipes.com)
Ingredients:
-          4 egg yolks
-          3½ tbsp lemon juice
-          1 pinch pepper
-          1/8 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
-          1 tbsp water
-          1 cup butter, melted
-          ¼ tsp salt

Directions:
  1. This requires a double boiler (if you are like me and do not have one, it is easy to make. Use a small pot filled with water and put a stainless steel bowl on top. Make sure the water does not touch the bowl)
  2. Turn burner on medium/high so water boils
  3. In the bowl, whist egg yolks, lemon juice, Worcestershire Sauce and water
  4. Slowly add melted butter (1-2 tbsp at a time) until all the butter is used up (continue to whisk)
  5. If the sauce is too thick, add 1-2 tsp of hot water
  6. Whisk in salt and remove from heat

No comments: