Thursday, March 8, 2012

Carrot Oatmeal Muffins

I had a bunch of carrots in the fridge and wanted to use them up. I really like carrot cake so I thought I would give carrot muffins a try. This is a Canadian Living recipe. However, it only called for 1 carrot and I wanted carrot muffins, so I upped the amount! They are really good and pretty healthy as well :)

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1.2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp ginger
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 cups grated carrot
  • Optional: 1/2 cup walnuts or raisins or both! (I used both)
Directions:
  1. In a large bowl mix flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and salt.
  2. In another bowl whisk together milk, egg, oil and vanilla.
  3. Pour wet ingredients over dry and stir until dry ingredients are moistened.
  4. Gently stir in carrot, raisins and nuts.
  5. Pour into greased muffin pan (I used liners, but you don't have to). Bake at 375* for 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove muffins from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
  6. Store in an air-tight container for 24 hours or wrap and freeze individually.

No comments: