Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Amazing Apple Pie (from Gramma!)

**This was part of another post (from last year) where I had two recipes on one post. I am trying to seperate them to only one recipe per post**

My favourite pie is apple! No one makes it better than my gramma, but I am getting close! My husband would beg to differ that his aunt makes the BEST apple pie…but of course he is wrong…and I am right!! Here is my recipe (which I got from MY gramma!)

Ingredients:
Pastry
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 5 to 7 tbsp cold water

Filling
- 6-8 apples peeled and sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp flour
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp butter

Directions:
1. Blend flour, salt and shortening using a pastry blender until there are small clumps
2. Add 5 tbsp of water and knead dough (if you have to add more water do some now)
3. Separate dough into two balls, and roll each ball into a circle for pie crust
4. Put one crust in the bottom of pie dish and make sure it slightly goes over the side
5. Mix all ingredients for filling together and pour on top of pastry
6. Put second crust on and squish the sides together. Use a fork to indent the sides of the crust to ensure they are stuck together. Cut breathing holes in the top
7. Bake for 50 minutes at 400o
8. Enjoy!!


My pie dish doesn't have an edge, so I didn't really have a crust!!


No comments: