Sunday, November 6, 2011

French Onion Soup

Earlier this year I had French Onion soup for the first time. It was amazing!! I really enjoyed sitting at William’s Coffee Pub waiting for my husband’s uncle and cousins to get back from Alberta (I work near the airport so I am sometimes a taxi!) indulging in a delicious bowl! I then had it again while I was shopping with a friend.

Shawn had never tried it before so I decided to make it for him. I loved it!! He liked it, but I think he prefers a dinner with more mass! It is more of a lunch thing for him (with grill cheese of course!).
Ingredients:
-          2 tbsp oil
-          2 tbsp butter
-          5 onions, thinly sliced
-          1 tsp each of dried thyme, salt and pepper
-          ½ cup sherry
-          1 bay leaf
-          6 cups beef broth
-          8 1” slices from a baguette, toasted
-          Shredded Swiss cheese

Directions:
  1. In a soup pot, heat butter and oil over medium heat
  2. Add onions, thyme, salt and pepper; cook until onions are a caramel colour stirring occasionally
  3. Add bay leaf and sherry to deglaze
  4. Once deglazed, add broth and bring to a bowl
  5. Ladle soup into oven safe bowls, float baguette slices and top with cheese
  6. Put bowls on a cookie sheet and broil until cheese is melted

No comments: