Saturday, January 21, 2012

Broccoli Soup

Someone requested I make broccoli soup, so of course I had to take her up on it! This recipe was adapted from The Joy of Cooking. I thought it was really good, although I wish it was a little creamier. Next time I will probably use heavy cream instead of half and half, or I might cut back on the broth (by 1/2 or 1 cup). Here is the recipe I used tonight.

And if you have any recipes you want me to investigate and try I would love to!! I am always looking for new ideas :) Just leave a comment - I love hearing from you!! Enjoy :)

Ingredients:
  • 4 tbsp butter
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1.5 pound broccoli crowns, cut in small pieces (about 4 cups)
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 4 cups chicken broth (As always I use the Epicure stuff - it is amazing...I should take up selling the stuff!)
  • 1 cup half and half
  • Salt and Pepper
  • Shredded cheddar cheese to garnish
Directions:
  1. In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat.
  2. Add onions and cook until tender. Add broccoli and cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
  3. Mix in flour and turn to high heat. Slowly add in broth and bring to a boil.
  4. Simmer over medium low heat until broccoli is tender about 15 minutes.
  5. Process in a food processor or with an immersion blender until smooth. Transfer back to pot and add cream, salt and pepper.
  6. Garnish with cheese. (I also put about 1/4 cup of cheese in the soup before serving)

No comments: