Monday, January 23, 2012

Pecan Pie

Like I have said before, I am not a huge dessert person. BUT I do love pie!! My husband introduced me to pecan pie and I thought it was really good. A little on the sweet side, but I did enjoy it.
He asked me to make one this weekend. I pulled out my trusty Joy of Cooking and found a recipe. I used the pastry found in my apple pie recipe, I just cut it in half. I have no problem making the pastry, but I need more practice rolling it out! I didn't quite roll it enough, so the pastry didn't come high enough in the pie dish and the filling was seeping over. Good thing it still tastes the same going down! It was really good!!

Ingredients:
  • Pastry (divide recipe in half)
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup corn syrup
  • 5 tbsp butter, melted
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 cups pecans
Directions:
  1. Line a 9" glass pie pan with the pastry and glaze with egg yolk. Bake at 400*F for 15 minutes.
  2. Preheat oven to 375*F and position rack in the center of oven.
  3. In a large bowl, whisk remaining ingredients (minus pecans). Once blended, stir in pecans.
  4. Pour filling into prepared piecrust.
  5. Bake until edges are firm and centre is like gelatin when nudged. About 35-45 minutes. Let cool on a rack for at least 1.5 hours.

No comments: