But during our search, we stopped for lunch at this little Irish pub in one of the towns. We had chicken pesto grillbread and loaded potato skins. The grillbread was amazing!!!! I had a pizza crust in the freezer and though I would make something similar tonight for dinner. I don't usually like chicken on pizza, but I think I liked this one because it had pesto in place of tomato sauce. If you use pizza crust, use one that is already prepared and just needs to be heated up. You could also use something similar to naan bread or pita pockets.
In a food processor, process 40g fresh basil (stems removed and coarsely chopped), 2 tbsp pine nuts (you can toast them if you want), 1/4 cup grated Parmesan, 2 cloves garlic, Sea Salt and Pepper, and 3 tbsp olive oil until well blended, ensuring you scrape sides a couple of times.
Chicken Pesto Pizza
- Prepared pizza crust, naan bread or pita pockets
- Pesto (see above)
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into strips and cooked through
- 1 pepper, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 cup fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup grated Mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 425*
- Cook pepper, onion and mushrooms in a frying pan over medium heat until tender (about 5-10 minutes).
- Spread pesto on pizza crust. Top with shredded chicken, vegetables and cheese.
- Bake for 8 minutes and then boil until cheese is bubbly (2 minutes)