Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Super Spicy Superbowl Chili


Sunday we went to our annual Superbowl party at our friend’s place. Usually I take some kind of nacho dip, and the host usually makes chili (or his mom made it…). Well this year our friend has his own place, which means no mom!! No mom means no chili! Our other friends were complaining so I decided to make chili.

My husband LOVES chili, but I HATE beans…But I love him, so I make it! I just take some sauce out before the beans are added and make pasta to go with it. He tells me I make awesome chili! However this time I spiced it up, and when I say “spice it up” I mean it!! It was pretty spicy, but not unbearable. I thought (the sauce before beans) was very yummy!

Remember you can spice it up or down, just alter the amount of spices and hot peppers. Here you go:

Ingredients:
-          1.5lbs ground beef
-          1 onion, chopped
-          1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
-          2 peppers (I used yellow and green)
-          2 Jalapeño peppers
-          5 Serrano hot peppers (I think – they looked like skinny green beans!)
-          Spices to taste: Montreal Steak Spice, Seasoning Salt, Cumin, Cayenne Pepper, Chili Pepper Flakes
-          2 cans diced tomatoes
-          1 can crushed tomatoes
-          1 can tomato paste
-          2 cans of beans (I usually use Red Kidney Beans and a brown bean)

Directions:
  1. In a large skillet, brown ground beef with spices (amount depends on how spicy you like your chili)
  2. When ground beef is almost done, add onion, mushrooms and peppers and simmer for approximately 10 minutes on medium heat (until beef is fully cooked and vegetables are soft)
  3. Add beef mixture to crockpot with diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes and tomato paste
  4. Cook on low for 5-7 hours
  5. 1 hour before serving, add drained and washed beans
This is my fancy crockpot to go :) I got it has a shower gift,
and it is amazing for taking food to parties!

No comments: