Sunday, May 1, 2011

Beer Battered Fish

We love fish, and try to have it at least once a week. I do not own a deep fryer (since they are very unhealthy!) but we do occasionally like deep fried food. I have oil that I put in a pot and use to deep fry. I then strain the used oil into a Mason jar and save it until next time. I wanted to make good old beer-battered fish, so I pulled out my trusty Joy of Cooking and found a very easy and yummy recipe! This recipe could be used for pickles, mushrooms, fish, pretty much anything! The recipe called for ¾ cup of beer, but I found the batter was really thick so I used a full bottle of beer. Next time I will try the recipe with 1 cup. I think that would give a nice consistency.
Ingredients:
-          1 cup flour
-          1 tsp salt
-          ¼ tsp black pepper
-          2 eggs (separate yolks and whites)
-          1 tbsp butter
-          1 cup beer
-          1L of vegetable oil
-          Haddock
-          Lemon and freshly ground Sea Salt to taste

Directions:
  1. In a medium bowl blend flour, salt and pepper
  2. In a separate bowl, whisk 2 egg yolks and butter. Add beer.
  3. Pour wet ingredients over dry, and whisk until smooth
  4. Beat 2 egg whites until stiff
  5. Gently fold egg whites into batter
  6. Heat oil to 370oF in a medium pot
  7. Pat fish dry, coat in batter, and drop into oil
  8. Fry until golden brown (about 3 to 5 minutes)
  9. Drain on rack or paper towels
  10. Serve with fresh lemon and sea salt

No comments: