Thursday, August 25, 2011

Salsa

I plant tomatoes and jalapenos to make salsa. Last year I used a package of BERNARDIN Salsa Mix. It was ok, but I found it to be pretty watery. My cousin has a great recipe so I got her to give it to me last year. Well today was the day I gave it a try!!  I made two large jars and 3 small jars. Of course I had to try it out, and WOW is it ever amazing!! Mine is a little on the spicy side since I added the jalapenos. If you prefer a milder salsa, I would omit them.


Ingredients:
-          20 large tomatoes
-          5 large onions
-          1 large bunch of celery
-          4-6 peppers (any colour works!)
-          5 Jalapeno peppers
-          5 or more cloves of garlic
-          2 tbsp pickling salt
-          1½ cups vinegar
-          3 tsp black pepper
-          2 tbsp chili pepper flakes

Preparing tomatoes so they can be peeled

-          1 tbsp dried oregano
-          3 cans of tomato paste (small cans)

Directions:
  1. Peel, seed and chop tomatoes
    1. Cut stem out of tomatoes
    2. Put in a pot of boiling water for 20-30 seconds
    3. Remove tomatoes and put into cold water
    4. Once cool, remove skin
    5. Cut in half and remove seeds
    6. Chop up
  2. Cook tomatoes for 20 minutes on medium heat in a large pot
  3. Meanwhile, finely chop up veggies (I use the food processor for everything except tomatoes)
  4. Add veggies and remaining ingredients to the pot, and cook until desired tenderness
  5. Fill sterile jars with salsa and stand them upside down for a couple hours (ensure jars seal properly!!)

No comments: