Monday, September 23, 2013

Feisty Tomato Rice (with Chicken)

I just got back from a conference in Edmonton and haven't had a chance to do a full grocery shop. I went to a work out class this morning, came home and needed something quick for Aiden's lunch so he could nap. There was leftover rice in the fridge and decided to use that up.

This recipe has very few ingredients and it was actually really good :) I used a salsa spice I had in my cupboard, but you can make it as mild or spicy as you like. 

I made a decent amount so I was actually able to have it for dinner with a chicken breast and topped with Feta. Very good!!! (My husband is harvesting so he is hardly home, unfortunately I haven't been cooking as much as normal, so this was a 2-for-1...lunch and dinner!) 



Ingredients
- 1tbsp butter
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drained
- chilli pepper flakes to your liking
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Optional: Cooked chicken and/or Feta

Directions:
1. Melt butter and sauté onion and pepper for 5 minutes 
2. Add tomatoes and chilli flakes, bring to a boil
3. Add rice and simmer for 5 minutes
4. Top with cooked chicken breast and feta cheese 

No comments: