Thursday, October 20, 2011

Creamy Tomato Soup

It has been raining for the past few days, so I decided to make a nice pot of soup and homemade bread. I had a bag of frozen tomatoes from our garden (from last year!), and thought this was the perfect opportunity to use them up.

The soup turned out really well! (My mom came over for a visit so I gave her a bowl and she loved it!) As usual, I combined a few recipes to make something of my own. Enjoy :)


Ingredients:
-          2 tbsp butter
-          1 onion, chopped
-          2 cloves of garlic, minced
-          3 tbsp flour
-          About 2 pounds of skinned whole tomatoes (or 2 14oz cans)
-          ½ tsp baking soda
-          1½ cups chicken broth (I use the epicure spice to make my own)
-          Coarse salt and pepper (½ - 1 tbsp each)
-          1 cup 18% cream

Directions:
  1. In a large pot, melt butter and add onion and garlic, stirring for about 3 minutes until tender
  2. Stir in flour
  3. Add tomatoes, baking soda, broth, salt and pepper
  4. Bring to a boil, and then simmer for 10 minutes
  5. In a food processor, process mixture (in batches) and return to pot (I put each processed batch in a large bowl until all soup was processed, and then returned to pot)
  6. Stir in cream and simmer for 10 minutes
  7. Serve with bread

No comments: