Thursday, February 16, 2012

Rachel Ray - Steakhouse Chili Pot

My husband loves chili, but I hate beans, so this was a great compromise. This dish had all the flavours of chili minus the beans. It was really yummy! I followed the recipe exactly, but I found it was very liquidy, so I added a can of tomato paste. The recipe says to cook bacon in olive oil, but the next time I make it I will skip the olive oil, and I will drain the meat once partially cooked. I think that will help (and make it a touch healthier!)

You can find the original recipe here, but this is how I will make it next time:

Ingredients:
  • 4 slices bacon, finely chopped
  • 2 pounds lean ground beef
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 4 tbsp chili powder
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 can tomato sauce (14 oz)
  • 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp hot sauce
  • 1 can tomato paste
  • 2 cups beef stock
  • Optional: Sour cream and fresh parsley for topping
Directions:
  1. In a large pot, cook bacon over medium-high heat for a couple minutes and add beef. Cook until brown (5-6 minutes) stirring occasionally. Drain excess fat.
  2. Add onions, garlic, chili powder, a litte salt and lots of pepper until soften (5 minutes).
  3. In a bowl, stir together tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar and tomato paste. Add to beef mixture and combine.
  4. Add stock and bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook to thicken (6-7 minutes).
  5. Serve in bowls topped with sour cream and parsley

No comments: